Sunday, August 28, 2011

I'm on the Diving Board - Just Afraid to Jump In!!

Ok.  I took part in the book study.  I downloaded all of the resources.  I want to do this.  But I am afraid to jump in!! I'm talking about Math Workstations - the Debbie Diller way.  The past few years I had math stations but, other than the kiddos working with me in small group, the students did the same activity or game.  There was not a lot of choice in the matter.  For some reason the Debbie Diller way is overwhelming me!  I think it might be the fact that I am finding it hard to fit it all in to my allotted time slot.  It just doesn't seem to be enough time to do a lesson and work stations.  How are all of you wonderful teachers out there fitting it all in?  How are you teaching how to use each station AND do a lesson, AND math workbook pages?  (Not sure if I can somehow get by with not using the workbook.) How are you creative people coming up with enough stations  for each kiddo to use?  I do this for literacy stations all the time! Why is is so hard for math!?!  Help me everyone!  I need that extra nudge to get me off this diving board!

Separator

4 comments:

Jennifer Swain said...

In my class we have four groups of 5 students. There are for "Workshops." 1) Lesson at my table 2) Lesson at parapro's table 3) computer activities 4) independent centers. At independent centers, there are 5 activities. I have the centers numbered 1-5. I have a "Center Wheel" with the numbers 1-5 on it that match the center signs. The students names are on a clothes pin and my parapro rotates them at the end of the day. This means that each student does a different center each day! Works great in my class. We do each rotation for 15-20 minutes. We put workbook pages in at the teacher-led tables. Hope this makes sense and hope this helps!
jeremynjennifer.swain@gmail.com

Rachelle said...

Thanks for following me! Your room is so cute!

Rachelle
http://sweetkindergarten.blogspot.com

Jennifer said...

I just nominated you as one of my Top 10 Blogs! Check out the post here
http://rowdyinfirstgrade.blogspot.com/2011/09/great-surprise.html

Then head over here to grab your button
http://www.teachingblogaddict.com/2011/05/top-10.html

Rowdy in First Grade

Chrissy said...

I'm so glad to hear someone else use the word "workbook". I must get through all 146 pages of ours and it frustrates me enormously! I love math stations. Assessment is visual and immediate. I haven't gotten to play games with the kiddos yet, as most of their time with me is spent learning how to mark the workbook pages!

I'm having the same questions as you, but regarding literacy stations! Debbie has a book for that, too, right?!

ReadWriteSing